Adopt-A-Neighbor Outreach Program
The City of Hopewell has implemented an “Adopt-A-Neighbor” program as an outreach service with the intent of:
- Bringing together groups of individuals or an organization with a person needing assistance;
- Developing a volunteer network; and
- Gaining compliance with City Codes to promote a healthier, safer, and visually appealing community.
Benefits of Program
- Citizens are given the opportunity to help their neighbors
- Individual and community safety and health is improved
- Quality of life is enhanced
- Volunteers receive the satisfaction of helping others
- Groups and organizations benefit from a team-building experience
- A sense of community pride is enhanced
Who Qualifies for the Program?
The program targets individuals or households that meet the following criteria:
- Must be a Homeowner; and
- Either Elderly and/or Disabled.
The three (3) addition eligibility criteria:
- Physical & Mental Capability – Applicants must demonstrate that a serious medical or mental condition exists either on a permanent basis or as a long-term condition.
- Financial Capability – This is determined by the individual’s most recent tax return and living expenses. Living expenses may include the following items: mortgage, utilities, food and medical costs.
- Family Resource Capability – An individual may qualify if they do not have any family members located within 20 miles of the City who are willing and able to assist the applicant.
Types of Assistance
Typical activities of volunteers would include:
- Yard cleaning such as cutting grass, trimming shrubs, and raking leaves;
- Removing trash and debris from properties; and
- Moving items to the curb for pickup.
How it Works
- Individuals that are in need of assistance can contact the Department of Neighborhood Assistance and Planning or can be referred by a neighbor.
- The individual will fill out an assistance application.
- If the individual qualifies, then they will be referred to a volunteer or volunteer group for assistance.
Calling all Volunteers!
Department of Neighborhood Assistance and Planning is in need of volunteers who are willing to perform tasks such as:
- The organization agrees to provide assistance to a homeowner for necessary maintenance, such as yard work, trash removal, etc.
- The adopting organization performs the work needed.
- Materials are to be provided by the homeowner, donated by businesses or community-based organizations and/or the City of Hopewell.
Volunteers are essential to the success of the Adopt-A-Neighbor Outreach Program. If you or your organization is interested in performing such valuable tasks, please contact us at (804) 541-2220.
Department of Neighborhood Assistance and Planning
City of Hopewell
300 North Main Street, Room 321
Hopewell, Virginia 23860
Telephone: (804) 541-2220
Fax: (804) 541-2318