If your child is eligible for special education, all the rights and protections of special education continue to be available to you and your child.
- You have the right to notice before your child’s educational services begin or change.
- You have the right to consent before certain evaluations or placements.
- You have the right to an independent educational evaluation if you disagree with the school’s evaluation.
- You have the right to participate in the preparation of your child’s Individual Educational Plan (IEP)
- You have the right to inspect and review your child’s education records.
- You have the right to file a complaint or request a due process hearing.
If you think your child may be eligible for special education, A Parent’s Guide to Special Education provides more detailed information about these rights. You can receive a free copy from the Virginia Department of Education by calling 800-292-3830.