Business License Requirements
- Any person, firm or corporation engaging in a business activity within the City of Hopewell is subject to a local business license.
- All applicants, excluding out of town contractors, must have zoning approval before a license can be issued. The Department of Neighborhood Assistance and Planning is located on the 3rd floor of City Hall and can be contacted at (804) 541-2269.
- You need to register your trade name with the State Corporation Commission, (804) 371-9733, unless you are an out of town contractor, a Corporation, or an LLC.
- Corporations must submit a copy of the certificate issued by the State Corporation Commission when applying for a license.
- Health and Fire inspections are required when a business activity consists of food service or the building used for the business has been vacant for 30 days or more. A copy of the inspection is required at the time of license application.
- All contractors must submit a copy of their State Contractor’s License (if applicable) and a Contractor’s Certification of Insuring Liability for Worker’s Compensation in Virginia BEFORE a local license is issued. Link to Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission website
- Out of Town Contractors who conduct business over $25,000 annually in the City of Hopewell must obtain a Hopewell Business License. Refer to Virginia State Code §58.1-3715 for further information. A Contractor’s Certificate of Workers’ Compensation Insurance, Form 61-A, rev 070114, must be submitted when obtaining a license.
- Can care for up to 12 children other than the children that permanently reside in the home.
- State License must be obtained if providing care for 6 – 12 children.
- Over 12 Children:
- Must register with Social Services
- Must be a business location (not a residence)
- Must have a health inspection and state license