Charles was selected as the top candidate given his breadth of experience in economic development by partnering with the private and public sector. Mr. Bennett has over 20 years of experience in commercial real-estate development and project management. Charles comes to Hopewell from CBRE and Colliers International where he has a very long list of private sector real-estate development projects in Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Norfolk, Charlottesville, Arlington and Washington DC. “I am pleased to join the Hopewell team as the City continues to build upon strategic plans for economic growth, opportunity, and quality of life improvements,” says Charles Bennett.
As Economic Development Director, Charles will oversee the City’s efforts to promote economic development by setting strategic goals for economic growth and prosperity, targeting industries that are a good fit for Hopewell, and working with existing small business owners, industries and regional partners to strengthen the City’s economy. His Economic Development Professional
• CFA Institute – Historic adaptive reuse of Martha Jefferson Hospital to new global operations center. Project size 150K SF, LEED Gold in Charlottesville.
• Chemtreat – Ashland, VA 25K SF New Laboratory, office and R&D Facility.
• Assembly Norfolk- 400 Granby Street 45K SF Historic Adaptive Reuse
• VEDP Richmond- 80K SF office renovation and relocation.
• Chesapeake New Land Development- 12 Acres for 168K SF Logistics Distribution facility
• Northrup Grumman Mission Systems UVA 421 Richmond Virginia site at Patriot Tower. 96,260 SF of lab, office and conference and proposal rooms in Midlothian.
• Catholic Diocese of Richmond Corporate relocation project to 58,000 SF at the Henrico Corporate Centre Building in Richmond.
• 4th Circuit Federal Bankruptcy Court- house occupied renovations, Greensboro, North Carolina
• 4th Circuit Federal Bankruptcy Court, New construction, Winston Salem, North Carolina
• US International Trade Commission, occupied renovations, Washington, D.C.
• US Department of State- Arlington, VA 125K SF building renovation.
• Brunswick County Industrial Development Authority- Sledge and Barkley Building
2007 Author Book “On Time an Under Budget” a Step by Step Guide through the Tenant Upfit Process. This book was taught as a training tool for commercial real estate managers and approved for 3 hours of continuing education credit
Charles is a Hopewell native, born at John Randolph Hospital and a proud Hopewell High School graduate. In his free time Charles volunteers at his home Church, Joy Fellowship, in Hopewell serving as Pastor and leader of children and youth activities. Charles office will be located in City Hall next to the City Manager’s Office. He will begin in his new role on February 01, 2023.