Intergovernmental & Public Affairs
Director of Intergovernmental & Public Affairs
300 North Main Street
Hopewell, VA 23860
The Intergovernmental and Public Affairs Director is responsible for a wide variety of important governmental services to citizens, City Council, City administration, and the public at-large. This office is responsible for and manages the following:
- Serves as the media spokesperson for the City of Hopewell.
- Performs research for the City Manager, City Council, and other City departments as required.
- Assists the City Manager’s Office in maintaining the City Manager Citizen & Councilors Solution Comment System.
- Serves as a member of the City Manager’s Executive Management Team.
- Writes speeches for Mayor, Vice Mayor, and other elected officials and employees.
- Serves as the City’s representative for all communication with the media and associated outlets. Writes press releases and develops press packets for media personnel.
- Assist in promoting and marketing the City’s programs and initiatives.
- Serves as ambassador for all VIP’s to include elected officials and foreign dignitaries.
- Writes articles in local and national publications on behalf of the City of Hopewell.
- Manage, coordinate and edit documents for the City’s E-Currents newsletter; website, Facebook page and associated publications.
- Serves as the government liaison on behalf of the City to the Hopewell Twinning Association.
- Serves as the City’s military advisor and liaison to Fort Lee Military Installation.
- Manage and develop the City’s legislative agenda and overall legislative program in concert with City Council, City Attorney, City Administration, partner agencies, and Council appointed boards and commissions.
- Serves as a member of the City’s Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) and first responder.
- Manages the Special Event Application Program on behalf of the City Manager’s Office.
- Serves as legislative liaison for the City of Hopewell on the Virginia First Cities Coalition. This body consists of fifteen independent cities within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Serves as a member of the City’s 100th Anniversary Celebration Executive Committee.
- Formerly created and hosted the Bragg Around Town Radio Show on WHAP 1340 in Hopewell and WCLM Radio in Richmond.
- Founder, creator and hosted The Bragg Television Show on Comcast Channel 3.
- Serves as Chairman of the Martin Luther King, Jr., Memorial Foundation, Inc.
- Serves as Co-founder and Chairman of the City of Hopewell’s Black Heritage Committee.
- Serves as a Board member of STORY a subordinate affiliate of the Hopewell Redevelopment & Housing Authority.