Press Release: December 14, 2020
CARES Utility Relief Funds
The amended budget for the Commonwealth of Virginia, signed by Governor Northam on November 18, 2020, allocated $100 million of federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funds towards relief for utility customers whose accounts are in arrears (Cares Utility Relief Funds).
The City of Hopewell (Hopewell Water Renewal) is anticipating an award of funds through the CARES Utility Relief Funds to provide assistance to City customers for their past due wastewater bills. The funds offer relief to customers who have fallen behind on wastewater bill payments due to a loss or reduction in income due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Applications must be submitted by midnight, December 30, 2020. Funds will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Assistance is for wastewater charges only. Storm water fees and refuse charges will still apply.
To be eligible for assistance:
- Applicants must have an active City of Hopewell wastewater account.
- Applicants must have a past due balance on their wastewater account within the March 1, 2020 to December 30, 2020 time frame.
- During the period of time between March 1 and December 30, 2020, at least one household member must have been furloughed, laid off, unemployed or under-employed due to COVID-19; been unable to find a job due to COVID-19; had to leave or quit their job due to COVID-19 illness, or had to leave or quit their job to care for someone with COVID-19.
- Applicants may be required to provide documentation of circumstance described above. Examples include documentation of business closing, pre/post COVID-19 banking account statements, and unemployment letter, notice of furlough or layoff, one paystub from before March 1 and one paystub from after March 1 which shows a decrease in income due to COVID-19, etc.
- Non-residential customers must have an active wastewater account in the City of Hopewell and provide documentation to describe the economic hardship due to COVID-19 that resulted in a past due balance.
For more information, call the Hopewell Water Renewal Utility Relief Hotline at (804) 352-4001.
Last modified: December 15, 2020