FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Sgt. Richard Wade, 804-541-2300 ext. 271
July 15, 2021
Hopewell Sheriff’s Office to Mobilize for “Operation Clear Track,” the Largest Rail Safety Law Enforcement Initiative during Rail Safety Week 2021
On Tuesday, September 21, 2021 during Rail Safety Week (RSW), September 20-26, the Hopewell Sheriff’s Office will join with Amtrak Police and more than 600 local, state, federal and railroad law enforcement departments for “Operation Clear Track” to raise awareness and enforce railroad grade crossing and trespassing laws in 48 states across the U.S. “Operation Clear Track” is the largest single law enforcement railroad safety operation in the U.S.
During “Operation Clear Track,” agency law enforcement personnel will be stationed at targeted railroad grade crossings and other locations handing out railroad safety cards to motorists and pedestrians and issuing warnings and citations to violators. The goal of Rail Safety Week’s Operation Clear Track is to reduce pedestrian and driver injuries and fatalities around railroad tracks through increased public awareness.
- WHAT: “Operation Clear Track” Enforcement/Education event to be held in 48 states at railroad grade crossings and other locations.
- WHEN: Tuesday, September 21 (rain date Wednesday, September 22)
- WHERE/WHEN: 15th Ave and 17th Ave from 0900-1200 and Mesa Dr. near River Rd 1300-1600.
- WHY: Federal statistics show that every three hours in the United States, a person or vehicle is hit by a train. “Operation Clear Track” is an effort by Operation Lifesaver Inc., Amtrak Police and law enforcement partners across the nation to raise awareness of the need for caution near railroad tracks and trains during Rail Safety Week, held September 20-26, 2021, in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
- MORE INFO: Visit the Rail Safety Week landing page and Operation Lifesaver, Inc.’s website for safety tips and statistics Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or MediaRelations@amtrak.com for more information on “Operation Clear Track.”
The men and women of the Hopewell Sheriff’s Office are committed to serving the citizens of our City in a fair, honest and professional manner. Our goal is to provide the best Law Enforcement possible to all the citizens of Hopewell. We are proud to partner with Amtrak Police for this very important issue.
For 50 years, Amtrak has connected America and transformed transportation by modernizing train travel and building for the future. Amtrak will continue to play an important role in the national transportation network for the next 50 years and beyond by operating a safe, environmentally efficient and fiscally responsible business by providing travelers with an experience that sets a new standard. Book travel, check train status, access your eTicket and more through the Amtrak app. Learn more at Amtrak.com and connect with us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.
About Operation Lifesaver
Operation Lifesaver is a non-profit public safety education and awareness organization dedicated to reducing collisions, fatalities and injuries at highway-rail crossings and preventing trespassing on or near railroad tracks. A national network of trained volunteers gives free presentations on rail safety and a public awareness campaign, “See Tracks? Think Train!” provides tips and statistics to encourage safe behavior near the tracks. OLI leads an international observance of Rail Safety Week each September. Learn more about Rail Safety Week; follow OLI on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and Pinterest.
Last modified: July 27, 2021