Police Department Employment Opportunities
The Hopewell Police Department’s hiring philosophy is simple – we recruit the best and the brightest. If you are among those people who strive for excellence and want an exciting career where you make a difference, we invite you to join our team. The Hopewell Police Department offers many different fulfilling career paths and opportunities for police officers. Among these are Patrol and Narcotics K-9 Officer, Critical Response Team (SWAT), Community Police Officer, and School Resource Officer. Applicants for employment as police officers with the Hopewell Police Department are encouraged to submit a completed online application through the City of Hopewell’s career page available here.
Applicants will be screened during a preliminary background investigation. Individual situations will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis; however, a good driving record and a clean criminal history are considered essential.
Any of the following will result in automatic disqualification:
• Any felony conviction or offense that would be a felony if committed in the Commonwealth of Virginia (Code of Virginia § 15.2-1705)
• Any misdemeanor conviction involving moral turpitude, larceny, sexual assault or domestic assault (Code of Virginia § 15.2-1705)
• Prolonged or recent use of marijuana (within 24 months). Any such use will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
• Any illegal use of a schedule I, II or III substances (with exception of marijuana) in the last four years will result in an automatic disqualification. Any such use will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Any of the following are unlikely to receive favorable consideration, but will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis:
• Candidates who have engaged in any activity that would support a felony conviction
• Recent convictions for D.U.I., or D.W.I, or Reckless Driving, as well as multiple convictions for speeding or other moving violations
• Continual or unexplained poor financial responsibilities
• Dishonorable discharge from the Military
Section § 15.2-1705 of the Code of Virginia requires that applicants be citizens of the United States prior to appointment as a police officer.
Applicants must meet Code of Virginia § 15.2-1705 requirement in order to be considered for employment as a police officer.
Applicants must have a high school diploma or a GED Certificate. Applicants with an Associate Degree, or higher, are preferred.
No worse than 20/100 vision rating in either eye, correctable to 20/20.
Visible tattoos, brands, or other body art on the head, face, neck, or scalp are prohibited. All visible tattoos must be approved by the Chief of Police.
• Must be able to qualify with assigned firearm with dominate and non-dominate hand.
• Must be able to be exposed to OC Spray.
Applicants must pass a thorough and extensive background check. Only applicants with the greatest job related experience, education, qualifications, and brightest background history will be selected.
Take Home Vehicle Program
The department currently has a program known as the Take Home Vehicle Program. The program includes the assignment of a marked police vehicle for use by an officer on and off duty. The intent of the program is to increase the visibility and availability of marked police vehicles throughout the city and to decrease vehicle costs. Officers residing in the City of Hopewell who are assigned to uniformed patrol activities may be eligible for participation in the program. This program is an initiative by the department and may be rescinded at any time at the discretion of the Chief of Police and, therefore, is not a right of employment.
Hopewell Police Department employees acknowledge that their position with the police department shall be considered their primary employment. Officers are essential personnel, and in this regard, acknowledge that executing their duties as an employee of the Hopewell Police Department takes precedence over non-Hopewell Police Department employment activities, scheduled or otherwise. Employees are responsible for ensuring that non-Hopewell Police Department employers are aware of this requirement.
For more information about the benefits offered by the City of Hopewell, please click here.