Frequently Asked Questions

2017 Spirit Award winners

Hopewell Police Department follows good professional standards

What should you do if you see a crime occurring?

  • Call 911 immediately.
  • Be observant and make mental notes.
  • Are there any weapons involved?
  • What is the address?
  • Any physical characteristics such as height, weight, race, beard, or scars?
  • Any clothing description?
  • How many people involved?
  • Are the persons involved on foot or in a vehicle?

Do I have to give my name when I call 911?

If you wish to remain anonymous or keep information confidential just tell the Dispatcher.

How do I report a compliment or complaint?

A citizen can report a compliment or complaint in the following manner:

  • In person at police headquarters
  • In writing, addressed to the “Hopewell Police Department, Office of Professional Standards”
  • Via the telephone, speaking with a supervisor

See Office of Professional Standards for more information.

Must an individual identify themselves to report an allegation?

No, an individual need not identify themselves in order to report an allegation. However, if not identified, that individual must understand they cannot be contacted by the investigative unit for further information.

How do I employ off-duty police officers to work security for my activity/business?

Citizens/business owners may request to employ off-duty police officers to work for a long term contract basis at a scheduled rate. For more information please contact the Operations Bureau Commander.

How do I get a copy of an incident report or accident report?

You may obtain a copy of an Incident Report or Accident Report at the Administrative Services Division at police headquarters. A photo ID is required. There is a fee of $5.00 for each report.

I think I have a warrant for my arrest. How do I find out?

You can confirm an outstanding warrant in person at the Communications Center at Police Headquarters 150 W. Randolph Road, Hopewell. For assistance in getting to the Hopewell Police Department you can call phone number (804) 541-2222. You will not be told over the phone whether you or anyone else is wanted. They must come to the Police Department. If you know someone who is wanted, you can contact Crime Solvers at (804) 541-2202.

Do you provide fingerprinting services?

Currently the Hopewell Police Department provides fingerprinting services for sex offenders and taxi cab permits. However, the Hopewell Sheriff’s Office has fingerprinting services available by appointment. Please call them at (804) 541-2300 for more information.

How do I become a Police Officer?

For more information on Police Department Employment Opportunities, please click here.

Translate »