Phone: (804) 541-2295 or (804) 541-2294
Fax: (804) 541-2456
Hours: Administrative office: M-F 8:30AM to 4:30PM, Crew: M-F 7AM to 3:30PM
Bulk Waste Collections Suspended in Hopewell
Due to COVID-19 pandemic, residential curbside collection of bulky waste and yard waste are suspended in the cities of Colonial Heights, Hopewell, and Petersburg, beginning April 20, 2020 until further notice. We are instituting this change to minimize the potential for exposure to the COVID-19 virus for the workers collecting trash. Regular weekly trash and recycling collection services will continue as normal. Regular household garbage must be placed in the container for collection and set out by 7AM on collection day.
In the meantime, residents can take bulky items and yard waste to:
Hopewell Convenience Center – Convenience Center – 507 Station Street at no charge
- Open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 12:30-3:30PM and Saturdays 8AM-4:30PM
- Residents will need to be able to load their own material into the container
Tri-City Regional Transfer Station, 390 Industrial Drive, Petersburg, off Puddleduck Rd – Open to all residents @ no charge on the following days:
- ONLY on Mondays between 7AM and PM
- Residents must show proof of residency with valid driver’s license AND statement such as utility bill, mortgage statement etc. and the addresses must match
- There is a TWO mattress limit per address
- A fee will be charged for Construction and Demolition Debris
- No Tires or Hazardous Waste
- Residents will be responsible for unloading their material
CODE ENFORCEMENT: If a resident cannot take bulk items to the Convenience Center, bulk items can be temporarily stored on the property. Items cannot stay at the curb or be stored in the front yard.
Every effort should be made to store items out of view of any public right of way (sidewalk or street). Storage suggestions: in the rear yard, behind a fence, or neatly in the side yard if the other options are not available. The City will notify residents when CVWMA will reinstate the curb-side bulk pickup program. If there are questions about the enforcement of the storage of bulk items, contact the Department of Development at (804) 541-2226. This number can also be used to report a complaint or you can download the Click2Report APP on your Apple or Android mobile device.
Curbside recycling program
- CVWMA RECYCLING COLLECTION SCHEDULE (2020 RED & BLUE WEEK SCHEDULE) *
- HOLIDAY COLLECTION SCHEDULE
- HOPEWELL PAGE ON CVWMA WEBSITE
* County Waste collects curbside recycling in the City of Hopewell. Recycling is in green cart with yellow lid only. No personal containers.
Recycling Collection Schedule – To opt out of the City’s recycling program, please contact Central Virginia Waste Management’s Call Center at (804) 340-0900. The Public Works Department’s mission is to provide proactive service, maintain city right-of-ways and infrastructure for citizens, businesses, and city agencies safely, timely, efficiently and professionally. We are here to serve you – our goal is to allow for safe transportation within our community, and protect the environment while maintaining health and safety standards through the management and operation of the sanitary and storm sewer systems.
Links to Committee Meeting Activity (Minutes for the CVWMA and MPO – Technical Committee minutes)